The original school was founded in 1620 by William Sebright, who was Town Clerk of the City of London between 1574 and 1613. Known for most of its 350 year history as ‘Wolverley Grammar School’, the name was changed to Sebright School in 1931 to mark the opening of the new buildings on a greenfield site, by Stanley Baldwin, above the village. Public school status was achieved in 1948, but sadly the school was forced to close in 1970, due to financial difficulties. However, Heathfield, the separate junior school opened in 1961, survived and now flourishes as a co-educational school for pupils up to the age of 16.
The Old Wolvernian Association was formed in 1905 and in 1927 an inaugural Annual Founders and Commemoration Service was held.
The stated objectives of the Association are to:
- promote good fellowship amongst Old Wolvernians and to further the general interests and prosperity of Heathfield School, Wolverley;
- arrange meetings, dinners and other functions
Through this web site, the Association hopes to keep existing and prospective members all around the world aware of both past and future events. However, the site is intended as an addition to, rather than a replacement for, the twice-yearly newsletter that has been the mainstay of the Association’s communication to date.